Renowned South African photographer Grant Leversha has scooped eight prestigious international awards and medals for his first publication, Within an African Eden: Golf Courses of South Africa.
The self-published leather bound book takes the reader on a tour of the finest golf courses in his native South Africa, including Fancourt, Leopard Creek, Sun City and Pinnacle Point.
“When I first thought of producing a work on golf courses in South Africa, I decided to challenge myself by setting a new publishing standard, engaging with the best of professional craftspeople to create a sumptuous work of art, not just another large coffee table book,” said Grant.
Much more than a Golf Coffee Table book
Leversha’s passion for his art extends to the ancient craft of hand-binding in leather, with 23 carat gold-tooling combined with meticulous full-colour printing on beautiful Italian paper.
The lavish publication, limited to 1 000 copies, is endorsed with forewords by Johann Rupert, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, Ernie Els, Nick Price, Peter Matkovich and Ronald Fream.
The large tome weighs 14 kilograms while an open spread measures 1 metre wide. Each of the aforementioned golfing icons and contributors to golf in South Africa have hand-signed 26 copies which are the red-letter Masters Collection.
The tome can be considered a complete work as every aspect of fine book production criteria has been adjudicated and acknowledged by experts in the industry.
For a stunning preview and an insight into the production of this book, watch this video
Praise for Within an African Eden
‘Grant is one of the finest golf course photographers I know and have been privileged to work with over the years. I have tremendous respect for him as a master of his art’ – Gary Player
‘Grant has a deep-rooted love for South Africa and through his work has become a spokesperson for the game in his country’ – Jack Nicklaus
‘This volume, I am sure, will prove to be a powerful calling card to the rest of the world to come and experience our golf courses and at the same time, our beautiful country’ – Ernie Els
Awards for Within and African Eden by Grant Leversha
• Gold Medal – Outstanding Book of the Year – Art & Craftsmanship. Independent
Publisher Book Awards, 2013 (New York)
• Gold Medal – Coffee Table Books. Benjamin Franklin Awards, 2013 (New York)
• Gold Medal – Fine Editions. Gold Ink Awards, 2013 (Chicago)
• Gold Medal – Book Design. Creativity International Awards, 2013 (Louisville)
• Gold Medal – Best Book. Canadian Print Awards, 2013 (Toronto)
• Platinum – Illustration, Photography & Typography. Creativity International
Awards, 2013 (Louisville)
• Award of Recognition – Print Excellence. Print Industries of America, 2013 (Chicago)
• Honourable Mention – (IPA) International Photography Awards, 2013 (Los Angeles)
For further information:
Grant Leversha tel: (+27)82 9900 908
Click here to watch a VIDEO of making ‘Within an African Eden’